10 Social Media Trends Marketers Should Watch in 2022
Over the past two years, we’ve seen a shift in the way brands promote their products or services on social media.
As social media popularity continues to grow — we reached over 3.7 billion social media users globally in 2021 — brands aren’t just wondering how they’ll engage huge social media audiences next year. They’re also asking, “What social media trends should I expect in this constantly changing landscape?”
To learn more about what brands can expect in 2022 and beyond, our partner, HubSpot, surveyed over 1,000 marketing professionals to learn which trends B2B and B2C businesses will leverage in 2022.
Below, are ten expert or research-backed trends social media marketers should watch and leverage in 2022. Let’s dive in.
Social Media Trends in 2022
- TikTok will dominate the social media space.
- Reaching new audiences will become the number one social media goal for businesses.
- Companies will make more dedicated social media hires.
- Augmented Reality will become consumers’ preferred way to try-on products and interact with brands.
- Businesses in the B2B space will increase their investments in Instagram and Twitter.
- Influencer marketing will mature in 2022.
- Social advertising will become more sophisticated.
- Businesses will invest in more long-form and short-form content, as well as live audio chat rooms.
- Social selling demands will grow.
- Consumers will crave snackable content.
Trends to Watch in 2022
1. TikTok will dominate the social media space.
TikTok has seen undeniably fast growth. In fact, the term ‘TikTok’ saw a 61% increase in mentions year-over-year during the beginning of 2021, and was the first non-Facebook app to reach 3 million global downloads.
With fast growth, it’s easy to assume it’s a passing fad — but that doesn’t seem to be the case here. TikTok offers unique opportunities to engage directly with consumers, and major brands such as the NBA and Dunkin’ are leveraging the app to reach new audiences.
2. Reaching new audiences will become the number one social media goal for businesses.
In 2021, HubSpot’s Blog Research found the primary goals of most marketers’ social media strategies were:
- Advertising products/services (35%)
- Increasing brand awareness/reaching new audiences (34%)
- Increasing revenue/sales (34%)
However, 76% of marketers say their goals will change in 2022.
As we enter 2022, most marketers primary goals include:
- Increasing brand awareness/reaching new audiences (39%)
- Fostering relationships with customers/increasing brand loyalty (33%)
- Improving customer service and retention (32%)
As we head into 2022, then, it makes sense that brands are contemplating how they can reach new audiences through social media, foster deeper relationships with existing audiences, and improve customer service to ensure long-term customer loyalty.
To increase your social media presence, it’s critical you stay active and consistent in your posting, leverage trends and buzzy content, and invest in high-quality creative assets.
Additionally, to foster deeper relationships with your existing audiences, you’ll want to engage with your followers through interactive elements such as polls, Q&As, and live videos.
To read the full breakdown of social media trends to look out for in 2022, check out the full blog written by our partner, HubSpot, here.
Need help balancing the latest social trends with your marketing strategy? Contact us today to learn more about how we can help.